Baristalker - Palatable Functionality

by

If for some reason you are stumbling round the streets of Melbourne with flyaway hair run with split ends, holes in the soles of your shoes, a coat that could use a few elbow patches and a hangover that could only be cured by a coffee whose kick could power the halogen collider...you are either a homeless person or me between the hours of 10.30am and 1.34pm (between rising and sourcing said caffeine source). 


Generally I'll only ever solve the last element of that equation - the hobo and I having similar issues with our wallets - but this weekend I stumbled across a place that if I ever do solve my issue of living on the poverty line that I could finally tame my mane, heal my heels, patch my pants all the while sipping on a delicious beverage. 


"Captain's of Industry" - and indeed they are. 


Up a set of narrow stairs in Somerset Place in Melbourne's CBD - Thomas Grogan and James Roberts have made their establishment into an inviting place of cement floors and white washed walls. We first see the cobbler's "bar" - full of old shoes, new shoes, shoes in between. Then, making a slight shift to the left, we see the cafe. 


After ordering your latte and maybe a bite to eat, take a wander around the nooks and crannies of the joint. Near the big coffee table is a room full of old coats and mannikins waiting to be fixed. To the side we see a man sitting in big old fashioned chair and an eccentric lad with a pair of scissors and an electric razor, about to give ol' mate a nice buzzcut. 10 out of 10 for atmosphere.


Coffee is decidedly delicious, served in a cute red or brown cup with antique spoons. Wanted to steal the spoon. Thought long and hard about it too. Had to order a second coffee to wait out the urge.


Captain's of Industry (look above for the sign)
2 Somerset Pl, Melbourne
Mon-Fri 8am-5pm, Sat 10am-4pm
9642 5013